A few important considerations for choosing an international moving company
Making the move overseas is a big decision, one full of excitement and adventure, but don’t let the process of choosing a moving company keep you from daydreaming of your upcoming excursions. Here are a few important considerations to remember when the time comes to choose an international moving company.
Use a reputable company
The first things you should look for is whether the company is FIDI-FAIMPLUS-certified and is in good financial standing and will not go out of business. You also should be aware that moving companies can hold your belongings if you haven’t paid any charges owed. When moving abroad, check your mover’s policies and reviews and ask them how much experience they have with international moving and relocation. Anyone can start a moving operation, but experience and local presence can make all the difference in a move going smoothly or not.
Be sure you’re insured
Even with the best international mover, accidents can happen. If some of your belongings are damaged during your move, they may not be covered by your homeowner’s insurance policy. It’s a good idea to look into your transit insurance options. Be sure you fully understand the pricing and deductibles involved and what will be protected under the policy. If you are prepared to pay a deductible, will that bring the cost of the insurance premium down? It’s also important to know if international law, your destination country’s law or your home country’s law will apply if there’s an incident.
Look to Suddath®
Suddath partners with best-in-class, overseas partner agents to ensure your goods are handled with care at destination. As a FIDI-FAIMPLUS-certified mover, we evaluate our agent partners to ensure they follow OMNI and FIDI best-quality standards to the letter. We can help you with the following and more:
- Pre-move survey, in person or through our video surveying technology, to determine your exact moving needs
- Experienced labor to load your belongings into the chosen container
- International packing, wrapping and crating (materials included)
- Inland transportation of your belongings to port of departure and from port of arrival
- Detailed inventory preparation (required for customs purposes and tracking of your belongings)
- Ocean or air freight to your new destination country
- Preparation of documentation, filing of export paperwork and hands-on customs clearance
- Delivery of your belongings to your new home
- Unpacking and debris removal
Our move counselors also facilitate pet relocation, auto and boat transportation, wine and fine art shipping and settling-in and maid services. Contact us to learn more about how we can help you with moving internationally.
Get an international move quote